BLOG     |     FORUM
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
All your questions answered real quick by Unleash Networks Engineers.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Monitoring traps emitted from the manager address

Monitoring traps emitted from the manager address 17 years 1 week ago #126

• destergee
Hi,
i am working on a project which need to monitor traps, so i have installed your product unbrowse snmp version 1.5.0.1180 to try it.

However, I have a problem with the trap console. I can easily get traps from plenty agent addresses on the network, but i cannot get those from the manager itself.
I have even try to enter the ip address of the manager in the list of managed agents, but it didn't work better.
Is it possible for the manager to get its own traps?

Thank you in advance for your answer.
Regards,

Nicolas
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Monitoring traps emitted from the manager address 17 years 1 week ago #127

• netscript
Hi Nicolas,
Is it possible for the manager to get its own traps?

You should have no problems getting traps from the manager or agent. Unbrowse doesnt make any distinction.

First some questions.

1. Have you installed Unbrowse SNMP on the manager PC ?

2. If yes, Does the manager have multiple ethernet cards ? A common problem is when managers receive traps from agents on one card, and sends or forwards traps via another card. You may have to go to options and select the correct interface card.

3. Is the manager sending SNMPv3 traps with authPriv ? Unbrowse SNMP 1.5 doesnt support decrypting that yet.

Please get back with this information. We will be glad to help you resolve this.

Best Regards,
Vivek Rajan
Unleash Networks<br><br>Post edited by: netscript, at: 2007/04/06 11:27

Re:Monitoring traps emitted from the manager addre 17 years 1 day ago #130

netscript wrote:
1. Have you installed Unbrowse SNMP on the manager PC ?
Yes
2. If yes, Does the manager have multiple ethernet cards ? A common problem is when managers receive traps from agents on one card, and sends or forwards traps via another card. You may have to go to options and select the correct interface card.

There are 2 ethernet cards on the manager. The one which receives snmp traps is 10.10.10.25, and it succeeds in receiving traps from other agents (10.10.10.10, 10.10.10.140, ...).

These traps are not forward to another computer, they just need to be displayed and logged on the manager.

I use another snmp trap SW which receives the same traps than 'unbrowse snmp' from the differents agents of the network.
The problem is this SW also receive traps from the manager itself (10.10.10.25), that are not received by Unbrowse snmp.

These traps from the manager have the following settings:
- Agent address: 10.10.10.25, port 1207
- Manager address: 10.10.10.25
- SNMPv1 agent address: 127.0.0.1

So I added localhost (127.0.0.1) to the agent list, but it didn't solve the problem.

3. Is the manager sending SNMPv3 traps with authPriv ? Unbrowse SNMP 1.5 doesnt support decrypting that yet.
The traps emitted by the manager are SNMPv1 traps.

I hope my explanation could give you an idea to solve this problem.
Regards,

Nicolas

Re:Monitoring traps emitted from the manager addre 16 years 11 months ago #131

• netscript
Nicolas,

It looks like the manager at 10.10.10.25 is sending traps to itself (10.10.10.25) or to the loopback address (127.0.0.1).

If that is the case, then Unbrowse is currently not able to display traps sent between two processes on the same machine. This is because Unbrowse listens to the network adapter instead of just opening a UDP port like other software. SNMP messages sent between two processes on the same machine are looped back inside windows and do not hit the network adapter. Therefore Unbrowse is not able to see them.

To work around this,

1. Try configuring the manager to send traps to a remote address (if possible)

Another option, would be to modify Unbrowse SNMP to act like a \&quot;traditional trap receiver\&quot;, i.e. to listen on a specific UDP port. If you are interested, we can send a patch out to you to enable this.

Hope that helps,

Vivek Rajan
Unleash Networks

Re:Monitoring traps emitted from the manager addre 16 years 11 months ago #132

Thank you for your help and support, but we finally decided to change the implementation of our trap receiver, and we don't need anymore this functionnality.
Regards,

Nicolas
  • Page:
Moderators: vivek [unleash]
Time to create page: 0.037 seconds