BLOG     |     FORUM
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
All your questions answered real quick by Unleash Networks Engineers.
  • Page:

TOPIC: running unbrowse as a service

running unbrowse as a service 16 years 6 months ago #153

hi guy
I've got my rdp sessions and users working now thanks for the help on that :D my next question is how can i have unbrowse running as a services so that all i have to do is turn the server on and it starts collecting data. i would like a background process / service running with out having to log in. if possible could the process create a log file of all the data is accumulated every 24 hours ????

cheers
yale
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:running unbrowse as a service 16 years 6 months ago #154

• netscript
Hi,

The Unbrowse user interface is not designed to run as a service. This is due to the interactive nature of the application.

You have two options.

1) You could have Unbrowse start up automatically via the startup folder. This means someone still has to log on after the W2K server comes back up after a power cycle.

2) Run as a service. The machine always collects traps silently in the background. To run as a service you would have to write a script (in VBScript or Ruby) using the scripting API.

The scripting interface also gives you the flexibility to do whatever you want with the traps. You can automatically save the traps very 24 hrs, or export them, or do whatever you want.

You can modify this sample script to start off : www.unleashnetworks.com/unbrowse-scripting/code-samples.html

Check out the second one CTRLTRAP.VBS

Once your script is ready, you can easily convert it into a Windows service, using the SRVANY program.

Best Regards,
Vivek

Re:running unbrowse as a service 16 years 6 months ago #155

hi
i've looked at the scripts and confident i can make my own but how do i actually run them do i do it thought unbrowse or just double click - will i need the dot.net frame work or any think like that installed ???
cheers for putting up with my simple questions :S

Re:running unbrowse as a service 16 years 6 months ago #156

• netscript
Hi,

You do not need .NET or any other framework. All scripts are executed by the Windows built in script facility.

For example, the steps to execute the CTRLTRAP.vbs script are :
  1. Download the script CTRLTRAP.vbs

2. Modify the adapter name (see comments in the script) to match your server.

3. Open a command prompt Win+R -> cmd

4. CD to the directory where you saved the script

5. type cscript.exe <script-file-name> to execute. This will display the output to the console screen.

Once your script is tested and ready, we can convert it into a Windows Service quite easily using the SRVANY utility. That is the next step.

Hope that helps,

Re:running unbrowse as a service 16 years 5 months ago #157

hi again
got my script working i got it making new database file every day etc etc but .... when i view the database file in the trap console i get authentication fail when i run it in a normal trap console i get green any ideas do i need to include the engine id and other details in the script ???

cheers
yale

Re:running unbrowse as a service 16 years 5 months ago #158

• netscript
Hi Yale,

There are two scripting methods that have not made it to the documentation yet. We only update have the doc every minor release (eg, 1.5.2 - the next release) :(

EnableAuthCheck - Set this to true to enable this feature

AuthCheckUseWireEngineID - Ignore this for now. (This option will extract the engine ID from the trap message itself, instead of from the agent)

You can try this in your code :

TrapMgr.UsePromiscuousMode = False
TrapMgr.PreferRawOverPcap = False
TrapMgr.EnableAuthCheck = True

I have not tried it out here yet, but it should work.

Thanks,
  • Page:
Moderators: vivek [unleash]
Time to create page: 0.031 seconds