BLOG     |     FORUM
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
All your questions answered real quick by Unleash Networks Engineers.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Api broken/missing/not registering with Unsniff

Api broken/missing/not registering with Unsniff 13 years 11 months ago #300

• ppuskari
After spending more time than I should have, I've come to the conclusion that the Unsniff application that is offered for download simply is not registering the api components which is why the Open calls are all failing.

I confirmed this with the Ruby installs, then doubly confirmed with the vbs scripts offered. The Unsniff.database registrations are just not there.

Is the API in another download? Or do we have to hunt down an older Unsniff to get this functionality????

I'm planning on using the anastm.rb functionality to get those great congestion, and retransmission graphs. We'll buy the app if we can get this stuff working. This probably one of the best kept secrets in network visualization.

Just has been a dire pain to get working. It shouldn't be this hard should it? This is using your current download of Unsniff offered on this site in trial mode.

Any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Api broken/missing/not registering with Unsniff 13 years 11 months ago #302

First, I'd like to apologize for the trouble you have been having with the scripting samples.

I just updated all samples to work with Ruby 1.8.7 !

The scripts should work fine with the 1.8 version. If not, there is certainly a problem with the components not being registered. Could be an issue with Windows 7 ?

The scripting functionality resides in usnfaut.dll. Can you try registering by hand ?

Open a command prompt as admin, (Rt click and Run as administrator)
cd %PROGRAMFILES%
cd Unleash Networks\Unsniff\BIN
regsvr32 usnfaut.dll
Vivek R
Unleash Networks
Support : www.unleashnetworks.com/forums

Re:Api broken/missing/not registering with Unsniff 13 years 11 months ago #303

If you are interested in TCP Analysis, you may want to check out the new plugin unleashnetworks.com/resources/articles/1...gin-for-unsniff.html

This is much faster than the old one and easier to use.

Thanks,

Vivek R
Unleash Networks
Vivek R
Unleash Networks

Re:Api broken/missing/not registering with Unsniff 13 years 11 months ago #304

• ppuskari
Thank you very much for the reply. I knew there had to be SOMETHING I was missing.

Will give both suggestions a try when I get into work. I'm currently working on research around Congestion Window sizing, triggering, and various congestion control facilities in ZLinux, Linux, AIX, Solaris, and Windows tcp stacks.

Our group already knows the direction we want to move in for the decision for all the os settings but we are now being required to show empirical proof of the settings changes in action.. This is where you guys come in. I need the charts visually showing congestion collapse on a tcp flow on a gigabit network segment :)

Next trick will be seeing about getting Unsniff to pull in OmniPeek traces that are nearly 900meg in size.

Thanks again for the fast input! If this works out, I'll be putting you in the pool for our Technology Standards Board for enterprise approval.

Re:Api broken/missing/not registering with Unsniff 13 years 11 months ago #305

Thanks,

You may also want to check out this thread

www.unleashnetworks.com/forums/4-unsniff...-analysis-chart.html

Basically the following are accurate,
1. Bandwidth
2. Inflight Data
3. Sequence analysis
4. Window analysis

The following depend on the rather conservative RTT calculation and assume a Reno style TCP stack.
1. RTT
2. CWND
3. SSTHRESH

You can probably import the Omnipeek into Wireshark and re-export as PCAP.

Thanks,

Vivek R
Unleash Networks
Vivek R
Unleash Networks

Re:Api broken/missing/not registering with Unsniff 13 years 11 months ago #306

• ppuskari
Okay, I installed the 1.8 Beta Unsniff again on Win7. Indeed the dll is not registered. So I registered the dll you mentioned above.

I also installed the native plugin. The native plugin works great. Will play with that a lot shortly.

Also noticed something odd that perhaps it's something to do with versions or something, but for the Ruby scripts.

If you have 1.8b open - You can run scripts against the 1.0x captures.. But if 1.8b Unsniff app is closed only then will the 1.8b captures work. At first I thought it was just that the Ruby examples only worked with the old captures, but I noticed I didn't shutdown 1.8b... Once I did that both capture files properly opened.

Just thought that was interesting.
Last Edit: 13 years 11 months ago by ppuskari.
  • Page:
Moderators: vivek [unleash]
Time to create page: 0.034 seconds