BLOG     |     FORUM
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
All your questions answered real quick by Unleash Networks Engineers.
  • Page:

TOPIC: No data populating capture screen

No data populating capture screen 17 years 8 months ago #53

I installed the latest trial version of unsniff and initially I was receiving data. There was a Windows error with the program and it shut down. I restarted my computer and now there is no data being captured. I've reviewed all of the settings and there does not seem to be a problem. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the application.

I have a wireless router that is connected to a hub, which is where I have my laptop connected to for capturing, and the hub is connected to the firewall.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:No data populating capture screen 17 years 8 months ago #54

• netscript
Hi Brad,

Do you also have a Wireless card installed on your laptop ? If you do, perhaps that card is being selected as the active adapter. Here is how to ensure that your ethernet adapter (connected to the hub) is correctly selected.

• When the capture window is open, click on Capture->Select Adapter. Then select the ethernet adapter from the list shown.

• If you want to capture from the Wireless adapter, you must have promiscuous mode turned off (Goto Tools->Customize->Capture and uncheck the Use Promiscuous Mode checkbox)

If that does not work, you might want to try to use a different low level provider. You can try to disable Winpcap and use Windows Raw Sockets instead. Goto Tools->Customize Capture and select Windows Raw Sockets for the Provider.

We will track down the cause of the crash once we get Unsniff back up and running.

Thanks for the report,

Regards,
Vivek Rajan

Re:No data populating capture screen 17 years 8 months ago #55

My wireless is disabled. I've installed Ethereel and Sniffer and they both work on the laptop.

I am running Norton System works, which does block, however, I thought I had enough included the necessary components to allow the sniffing to occur. (ie ther other sniffers are running fine.) I've even completely shut down all of the Norton services, but this still did not help.

I'm out of ideas. This is getting frustrating because I've seen your product work on my laptop.

Brad

Re:No data populating capture screen 17 years 8 months ago #56

• netscript
Hi Brad,

It should work if Ethereal and Sniffer work on the laptop.

Can you please check these two things ?

1. When you open a capture window, does the name of the adapter shown on the status bar match what you are expecting ?

2. Can you click on \"View\"->\"Log Window\" before starting the capture ? Do you see any error messages there ?

Thanks,

Vivek
  • Page:
Moderators: vivek [unleash]
Time to create page: 0.028 seconds