BLOG     |     FORUM
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Issues related to installation, running, bugs, and features.

TOPIC: Trisul segmentation fault error

Re:Trisul segmentation fault error 12 years 4 weeks ago #665

• Chris
Hi Vivek,

apologies for a delayed response.

I've applied the BPF but unfortunately I'm still getting the cryptic segfault:
root@trisul:/# /usr/local/bin/trisul -nodemon /usr/local/etc/trisul/trisulConfig.xml -mode onlinerxring
Segmentation fault

I'm not 100% that IPv6 traffic is being filtered though.

Under Customize > Capture Adapter > Edit Capture Profile,
I tried adding not ip6 and with the speechmarks "not ip6" (just in case that'd make a difference), however after restarting the Trisul daemon, if I go Tools > Live Meters > HostsIPv6, I can still live data for IPv6 traffic? Both global and link local sessions. Would you expect this page to be blank if IPv6 was being filtered?

Many Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Trisul segmentation fault error 12 years 4 weeks ago #666

Chris,

Live meters are only current to about 3-5 mins, if the segfault happened before that, it would continue to show the last valid data which includes the IP6 addresses.

Do you happen to have various TCP reassembly options enabled ? Check these two in trisulConfig.xml (in /usr/local/etc/trisul )
<TCPFlowTrack><Enabled> and <TCPReassembly><Enabled>,

set them to FALSE and see if it makes a difference. They can use quite a bit of memory.

If it still crashes, we can also try to get the libdnswatcher.so out of the way again. I know we did a lot of hardening in 2.4 but it is possible the problem still lurks.

Can you also see if dmesg has anything to say ?
sudo dmesg | grep trisul 

If none of the above work, I will send you a special build with debug symbols which will pin point the error. Besides that we have dramatically reduced CPU usage in the past 3-4 days in 2.4.

Thanks a lot !
Vivek R
Unleash Networks
Support : www.unleashnetworks.com/forums

Re:Trisul segmentation fault error 12 years 4 weeks ago #667

• Chris
I disabled the suggested options but was still getting a segfault error. I ran dmesg and saw the following:

root@trisul:~# sudo /usr/local/bin/trisul -nodemon /usr/local/etc/trisul/trisulConfig.xml -mode onlinerxring
Segmentation fault

root@trisul:~# dmesg | grep trisul
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-2.6.32-33-generic-pae root=/dev/mapper/trisul-root ro quiet
[ 4.715517] Adding 2813944k swap on /dev/mapper/trisul-swap_1. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:2813944k
[49367.110630] trisul[1490]: segfault at 14 ip 081a0fc0 sp ae0fef50 error 4 in trisul[8048000+323000]

I then ran the cleanenv command and starting Trisul again, since then it's been running all day without error.

Could it be that although we were filtering out IPv6, existing IPv6 traffic logged in the database could cause a problem?

I'll see how it fares and try re-enabling the disabled config options tomorrow, one at a time, to see if the segfault issue reoccurs.

Thanks for your help to date.

If there's anything else you'd like me to try, please do say.

Kind Regards

Chris

Re:Trisul segmentation fault error 12 years 4 weeks ago #668

Hi,
Could it be that although we were filtering out IPv6, existing IPv6 traffic logged in the database could cause a problem?

I really doubt that, if you restarted trisul after setting the BPF, it would never go back and read old IPv6 data.

If the current proceess dies : can you start it in gdb like so.

# gdb /usr/local/bin/trisul
(gdb) r -nodemon /usr/local/etc/trisul/trisulConfig.xml -mode onlinerxring

I am very anxious to track this down.

Thanks,
Vivek R
Unleash Networks
Support : www.unleashnetworks.com/forums

Re:Trisul segmentation fault error 12 years 3 weeks ago #669

• Chris
Hi Vivek,

There was a segfault error overnight, similar to the previous error (dmesg output below).
[117491.198607] trisul[26328]: segfault at 14 ip 081a0fc0 sp 71d7b9b0 error 4 in trisul[8048000+323000]

I've started Trisul up just now using the GDB commands provided thanks. I've not re-enabled either of the config options we disabled previously either.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Re:Trisul segmentation fault error 12 years 3 weeks ago #670

• Chris
Just had this message come through from GDB:

[New Thread 0x704ffb70 (LWP 29694)]
[New Thread 0x6fcffb70 (LWP 29695)]
[Thread 0x704ffb70 (LWP 29694) exited]
[Thread 0x6fcffb70 (LWP 29695) exited]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x71affb70 (LWP 29580)]
0x081a0fc0 in ?? ()

Kind Regards

Chris
Moderators: vivek [unleash]
Time to create page: 0.044 seconds